Friday, October 17, 2008

We're in San Francisco! (Amy)

Well - we're here! We're checked into our Marriott hotel, we've picked up our packets and bib #'s at the Expo, we've visited the Nike Store and got our Nike Women's Marathon t-shirts, and we had lunch from a lovely Indian restaurant across the street. We got take out, as it was only $5.00. We had fancy meatballs, curry veggies and some sort of spicy chicken cooked w/asparagus. All over rice. The 3 of us split each dish and they were all really tasty. There's 3 of us now because our friend Meg came to do filming for the documentary. She's wonderful and we're so glad she could join us on this trip.

We've been hanging out with the other 2 honored patients for the Phx team, Linda and Andrea (and Linda's boyfriend, Lance). They're great people. There's a bond that forms when people who have been though a similar experience like cancer meet. I can't explain it, it's just there. I think any shared trauma brings people together because no one else can really understand what it was like. It's like an exclusive club that you pray you'll never become a member of. Unfortunately, new people are joining every day.

We've been up since the wee hours of the morning because we had to be checked in and at the Gate by 6:00 a.m. I can't remember the last time I saw 4:00 a.m. on the clock, nor do I want to. I'm not a morning person, but Jo was already at the gate when I arrived, which I expected as she IS a morning person. I've had 4 coffees already today and I'm still tired.

Our hotel is lovely, though not as close to the Marathon Start as I was led to believe. It's only about 1 mile away but when I'm already going to have to walk 13.1 miles, I really don't want to have to walk another mile to get to the Start! Maybe we'll be lame and take a cab....

I've got some great photos already but I don't seem to know how to get them off the camera. I borrowed my husband's camera and I've plugged it in, but nothing is happening. I may need to spend a little more time on it later. I'm not sure what the plan is for tonight, other than dinner someplace, maybe drinks. Tomorrow, other than the Pasta party at 5:30, we have the whole day for whatever. We plan to go see "Religulous" somewhere, get Dim Sum at a restaurant Meg loves, and then hopefully go to the Piers. Can't wait!

Hard to believe Sunday is the race already. Yikes! Am I ready? I hope so. I have a timing chip, which means as I pass markers, you can follow my progress online. Not sure how that works... but will post more when I figure it out. My race # is 16794 and Jo Anna's is 18357. You should be able to use these to find us. Also, my understanding is the race will be televised as a Pay Per View event on Direct TV. I think it's $12.95.

That's all for now! Will try and figure out how to upload my photos and then will post later. Take care and as always, thanks for your continuing support!
-Amy & Jo

No comments: