Friday, October 10, 2008

For Jon

My cousin Jon passed away on September 25th, 2 weeks ago yesterday. He was home and surrounded by people who loved him. It was very difficult but at the same time, he's been so very sick for so long, it was somewhat of a blessing. And his older brother made it here from WI to say goodbye, which was the one big thing we were all hoping for. Shortly after his older brother got there, Jon passed away.

And just this week I got my PET Scan results, which were great. No sign of cancer, totally clean. I get to go an entire year now before my next scan, which will be right around my 5 year anniversary of completing chemo, and should be my last scan. I'll still need to visit with my Oncologist annually for a while, but no more scans unless I have symptoms. And after 5 years, the chances of that happening are minuscule.

Which leads to the question - why? Why did Jon die? Why did I live? And there will never be a good answer to those questions. Some people survive and some don't. We all start dying from our first breath, it's just a matter of when. And of course, How. I would never wish dying of cancer on anyone. I'm so grateful for every day I have now. And more than ever I want to be able to make a difference, otherwise why am I here?

So in Jon's name or in the name of a loved one you may have lost, or almost lost, I challenge you to do something good today. Maybe it's making a donation to a food bank, or signing up to volunteer for a soup kitchen, or Habitat for Humanity, or any local charity event - pick one that speaks to your heart. Go pick up poop at a local animal shelter. Or maybe help a neighbor with a project. Or buy something from one of your friend's kids who is selling junk you don't need to raise money for their school. Sign up to be a Big Brother or Big Sister. Register with the National Bone Marrow Registry. Donate blood. Take your old clothes, towels and blankets to a Goodwill or shelter. Give a homeless guy $5 today when you see him on the street. Pay for a stranger's groceries. Anything. Pay it Forward people. Give something or do something. If it's not to help our fellow man, then why are we here?

-Amy

No comments: